The Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid CPR AED Instructor Manual includes essential information and Lesson Plans that AHA BLS and Heartsaver Instructors need to teach AHA’s Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid CPR AED Course, including the classroom and online/blended learning versions, for both the Heartsaver Pediatric and Heartsaver Pediatric Total course paths.
With additional teaching flexibility, the manual also provides sample course paths by audience (Babysitter, Water Safety) to demonstrate how training can be customized for students.
This product is for use by a single BLS or Heartsaver Instructor conducting Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid CPR AED Courses.
- Reflecs the latest science and education from the 2020 AHA Guidelines for CPR and Emergency Cardiovascular Care (ECC),
- Course provides students the highest quality training in the lifesaving skills of first aid, CPR, and how to use an AED with emphasis on emergencies that occur with children and infants.
- These courses empower students to act with confidence in the event of an emergency at work, home, or in the community
- With online, onsite, and classroom training* in two course paths (Heartsaver Pediatric and Heartsaver Pediatric Total), these courses offer flexibility for Training Centers, Instructors, and students to select the appropriate training solution to fit their needs. (*Training options may vary by Training Center)
- The shorter Heartsaver Pediatric core course path offers the flexibility to add optional topics, while Heartsaver Total is designed for childcare professionals and those requiring OSHA or other regulatory agency compliant training.
Course Learning Objectives:
After successfully completing this course, students should be able to
- List the duties, roles, and responsibilities of a first aid rescuer
- Describe the 4 key steps in pediatric first aid: prevent, protect, assess, and act
- Remove protective gloves (skill students will demonstrate)
- Find the problem (skill students will demonstrate)
- Describe the assessment and first aid actions for the following life-threatening conditions: difficulty breathing, choking, severe bleeding, and shock
- Control bleeding and bandaging (skills students will demonstrate)
- Use an epinephrine pen (skill students will demonstrate)
- Recognize elements of common illnesses and injuries
- Describe how to find information on preventing illness and injury
- Describe the risks of smoking and vaping and the benefits of a healthy lifestyle
- Describe how high-quality CPR improves survival
- Explain the concepts of the Chain of Survival
- Recognize when someone needs CPR
- Perform high-quality CPR for all age groups
- Describe how to perform CPR with help from others
- Give effective breaths by using mouth-to-mouth or a mask for all age groups
- Demonstrate how to use an AED on children and adults
- Describe when and how to help someone who is choking
- Recognize the legal questions that apply to first aid rescuers
NOTE: Course objectives vary based on the course topics taught.
- 80 pages of full-color images and text
- Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid CPR AED Lesson Plans and Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid CPR AED Blended Learning Lesson Plans
- Lesson Plans are 128 pages total
- Contained within a full-color soft cover
- Includes 7 divider page tabs